Media release from The Hon Peter Ryan MP, Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Minister for Regional and Rural Development
Bendigo businesses aiming to spread the benefits of the new $630 million Bendigo Hospital Redevelopment will be aided by new Victorian Coalition Government funding, Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional and Rural Development Peter Ryan said today.
Speaking at the new hospital’s project site, Mr Ryan announced $350,000 from the Coalition Government’s Regional Growth Fund for the Leveraging the Benefits of the Bendigo Hospital Project.
The project aims to improve local career opportunities, support local businesses wanting to secure work on the redevelopment project and ensure the local economy maximises the benefits of the huge investment.
“Bendigo is on the brink of phenomenal construction activity,” Mr Ryan said.
“The scale and complexity of Bendigo’s new hospital is unprecedented, with the Coalition Government investing $630 million in this very important regional infrastructure project, expected to employ 735 workers at the peak of construction.”
Under the Leveraging the Benefits of the New Bendigo Hospital project, a special steering group would be established and charged with the responsibility to align local efforts to optimise the Coalition Government’s major investment.
Together, the City of Greater Bendigo, Bendigo Health, Bendigo Business Council, Department of Health, Industry Capability Network, Loddon Mallee Regional Development Australia Committee and Regional Development Victoria will focus on:
- increasing local apprenticeships and workers employed in the construction;
- ensuring local construction and supply chain businesses tender for contracts; and
- growing local construction and construction industry supply chain businesses.
Mr Ryan said the project would deliver a world-class hospital with state-of-the-art facilities for the community of Bendigo and north west Victoria.
“The Coalition Government is on the front foot to ensure that this unique opportunity for local businesses to generate jobs, contribute skills and experience and develop new expertise is taken advantage of to the fullest extent,” Mr Ryan said.
“The Coalition Government knows sustained regional growth is vital for the future prosperity of Victoria.
“That’s why the Coalition Government created the $1 billion Regional Growth Fund (RGF), Victoria’s largest ever regional growth initiative. The RGF leverages co-investment from the private sector and all levels of government to maximise jobs and benefits to local communities.
The Regional Growth Fund has so far provided:
- $3 million to the Sandhurst Theatre to help build a two-level 1,000 seat theatre complex at the old gaol site creating 56 direct jobs, 129 indirect jobs and 121 construction jobs;
- $2 million to Hazeldene’s chicken farm for an upgrade and expansion creating 100 new direct jobs, 1,000 indirect jobs and 100 construction jobs;
- $2 million to the Bendigo Agricultural Show Society for a world-class Victorian Regional Exhibition Complex creating eight direct jobs, 400 indirect jobs and 90 construction jobs;
- $2 million to the Greater Bendigo City Council for a library and community hub;
- $2.5 million and $2 million to Campaspe Shire Council and Mt Alexander Shire Council respectively for local infrastructure; and
- $1.8 million to Loddon Shire Council and $2.5 million to Mitchell Shire Council for local projects.
“The RGF has already allocated more than $12 million across 12 Bendigo city projects with a total project value of $53 million,” Mr Ryan said.
“Across Victoria, the RGF has already invested more than $250 million into 900 projects worth more than $900 million, expected to create almost 3,700 direct jobs and a further 3,800 indirect jobs. Yet Labor aims to destroy the RGF should it be returned to government.”
Media contact: Les White 0409 805 122 email@example.com