Bendigo Health staff move to their new home in Havlin Street East

A major step towards the New Bendigo Hospital will take place today with approximately 60 staff relocating from the Anne Caudle Centre campus to their new home in Havlin Street East.

Bendigo Health chief executive officer John Mulder said that Bendigo Health recently acquired the land and buildings in Havlin Street East which was formally the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

“Over the coming months, approximately 200 staff from the Anne Caudle Centre campus will be relocated to the Havlin Street East complex.

“Staff to be relocated are mainly from our Community and Continuing Care stream. Today we have the Rural Health Team and the Home Assessment and Rehabilitation Team moving into their new home. We believe our staff are very excited about the move,” he said.

The Havlin Street East site will house a range of staff including Case Management Services, Carer Support Services and Home Nursing and Support Services.

“These staff play a vital role in the support of the health and wellbeing of the community. The opportunity to move these services onto this site and be co-located with other complimentary services is one that was too good to miss,” Mr Mulder added.

Bendigo Health executive director New Bendigo Hospital David Walker said his team had much to do to prepare the new site for staff to move in.

“The site had been neglected after the previous occupants moved on. Bendigo Health staff, together with many local contractors and have done an amazing job breathing new life into these buildings.

“The interior has received a facelift, together with a large amount of ground works to clear the exterior of debris and rubbish.

“My team have also developed a detailed decanting strategy, to ensure a smooth transition for all staff moving to this new site,” Mr Walker said.

The move to the Havlin Street East site will allow Bendigo Health to continue the enabling works package required to prepare the Anne Caudle Centre campus for construction of the New Bendigo Hospital, which is scheduled to commence in December 2016.

Bendigo hospital bell returned

A piece of Bendigo Health history will be returned today to be included in the Bendigo Hospital Project.

The hospital bell has called St Paul’s Anglican Cathedral in Myers Street Bendigo home since the original Bendigo hospital building was demolished in the 60s.

The Right Reverend Andrew Curnow said the bells of St Paul’s Bendigo arrived in 1873 and were installed ready to ring for the first time on Good Friday that year.

“In 1963 the bells were returned to London for recasting, leaving the church without its famous call, it was around this time that the Bendigo hospital bell tower was being demolished and the hospital bell came here,” he said

Bendigo Health executive director New Bendigo Hospital David Walker has been working with the St Paul’s delighted to have the bell returned.

“We are very grateful to the people at St Paul’s Anglican Cathedral who have offered this good-will gesture, which will assist Bendigo Health provide a significant link between our history and our new world-class regional hospital.

Local demolition experts Accurate Demolition have been charged with the task of safely removing the bell from its current location and delivering to Bendigo Health where it will be stored for inclusion in the New Bendigo Hospital project.

Sadly the bells at St Pauls Anglican Cathedral are now silent as the cathedral has been closed since January 2009 due to safety issues. An estimated $5 million is needed for a complete restoration, the church and an appeal has been established to assist the church. Donation to the ‘Open the Doors: St Paul’s Cathedral Restoration Appeal’ at any Bendigo Bank branch or online at click here to donate.

Mr Walker has been volunteering at St Paul’s Anglican Cathedral providing expert advice and assistance in relation to safety issues around the ageing cathedral.

“It’s important to all work together to preserve the heritage of our community,” he added.

img4

Bendigo Health welcomes next stage in the New Bendigo Hospital project

The release of the Invitation for Expressions of Interest for the new Bendigo hospital was greatly welcomed, Bendigo Health board chair, Dr Michael Langdon, said today.

“This marks a large and exciting milestone in this project, one which signals a significant step towards the construction of the facility,” he said.

“The expressions of interest hopefully will attract a consortia of builders and designers from around Victoria and further afield. This will ensure that our new hospital will be world class and will ensure our services can be sustained well into the future.

“The Public Private Partnership model is well-tested in Victoria and we believe it will deliver the best hospital for the best price, for the Bendigo community, with the best services delivered over time.

“We look forward with anticipation at the announcement of the successful tenderer, later in 2012,” Dr Langdon said.

Bendigo Health CEO John Mulder said he was pleased that that the project was proceeding on schedule.

“This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to build a world-class regional hospital. This announcement brings us one step closer to achieving this vision,” he said.

The IEOI is seeking proposals from consortia to design, construct and finance the new hospital.

The Bendigo Hospital Project will cost $630 million and have expanded capacity including an integrated regional cancer centre and new psychiatric inpatient facility.

The new hospital will equip Bendigo Health to provide for the future health needs and increasing demands of a growing population in Bendigo and the Loddon-Mallee region.

The new facilities will also contribute to the development of a leading teaching and research hub specialising in rural health care in co-operation with the universities in the Bendigo Health precinct.

Expressions of interest released for new and bigger Bendigo hospital

(Media release, Minister for Health)

Victoria’s biggest-ever regional hospital project, the new world-class Bendigo Hospital, today moved a step closer to construction, Minister for Health David Davis said.

“The release of the invitation for Expressions of Interest today represents a major milestone in this project,” Mr Davis said.

“This exciting project will create 735 construction industry and supply chain jobs providing a welcome stimulus to the local Bendigo economy.

“At least 500 of these jobs will be maintained for at least three years during the peak construction period for the hospital.

“This higher level of sustained employment has been enabled by the additional $102 million investment made in the 2011-12 State Budget by the Coalition Government.

“This new hospital will be bigger and better than what was planned before the Coalition Government came into office, so we are confident it will create extra health industry jobs as well when it is fully operational.”

Mr Davis said the release of the Expressions of Interest reconfirmed the Victorian Coalition Government’s commitment to delivering a world class, $630 million health facility on time.

“It will assist Bendigo Health in creating a skilled workforce for the future provision of high quality patient care through investment in facilities, education and training,” Mr Davis said.

“The Bendigo Hospital Project will provide a world-class regional hospital with expanded capacity including an integrated regional cancer centre and a new psychiatric inpatient facility.”

The new facilities will also contribute to the development of a leading teaching and research hub specialising in rural healthcare in co-operation with the universities in the Bendigo Health Precinct.

The invitation for Expressions of Interest can be found at www.tenders.vic.gov.au .